Nominate Eligible Students From Member Colleges September 9, 2019 - January 24, 2020
Please read the information below carefully. Entries that are incomplete or do not follow these guidelines will be eliminated from consideration.
Download the award nomination form here.
Eligible student nominees must be:
- Currently enrolled in a League for Innovation Board or Alliance member institution;
- Pursuing a career in technology; and
- In need of financial assistance to further his or her education.
Community college faculty and staff members are invited to nominate student candidates by returning a nomination form, accompanied by a letter of recommendation (500 word maximum), for each nominee. Each League Alliance member institution may submit one nomination for Student Technology Champion and one nomination for Student Developer Champion. In multi-college districts, each college separately accredited by one of the six regional accreditation associations is allowed one nominee for each student award. Singly accredited, multicampus community colleges are allowed one nominee for each student award.
Letters of recommendation for Student Technology Champions or Student Developer Champions must:
- Be a maximum of 500 words
- Include the student's full name
- Indicate the qualities that distinguish this candidate as a technology champion (e.g., creativity, curiosity, ambition, drive, dedication, love of computers, innovation, spirit, and an ability to overcome adversity)
- Include an explanation of financial need
- Convince the readers that this student is passionate about technology by providing examples of that passion in action
- Clearly state why this student stands out from other students and why the League should be excited and proud to recognize this student as a champion
- Include grade point average and any special honors or awards the student has received
Please note: Nomination letters for a Student Developer Champion must also include (a) an indication of the nominee’s aptitude for analyzing problems and creating effective solutions using programming languages, and (b) a list of software development and programming tools the nominee has studied.
- Staple your nomination letter to the form.
- Confirm that the student nominee’s complete name appears in the nomination letter and on the form.
- Confirm that you have indicated for which award (Student Technology Champion or Student Developer Champion) the student is being nominated.
- Verify that your nomination letter complies with all aspects of the nomination instructions. Letters that do not follow the nomination instructions will be eliminated.
- Ensure that nomination materials are received by the League no later than Friday, January 24, 2020:
Attention: Sherry Sklar
Student Technology Awards
League for Innovation in the Community College
2040 South Alma School Road, Suite 1-500
Chandler, AZ 85286
Winners will be determined via a review of nominations by a selection committee. An award notification email will be sent to the faculty or staff member who nominated each winner.
Award winners will be announced at the League's annual Innovations Conference. After the conference, each award winner will receive a letter of congratulations from the League and Innovative Educators and a check for $2,500 to be used toward their educational expenses (e.g., tuition, fees).