2018 Riegelman Awards Now Open
The Riegelman Awards are presented to colleges that demonstrate excellence in
- planning or enhancing associate degree or certificate programs in Public Health and Health Navigation education; or
- providing public health/health foundations courses in Allied Health, Nursing, First Responder, Health Foundations, or related programs.
Programs or courses must be consistent with the recommendations of the Community Colleges & Public Health Final Report.
The Riegelman Awards will be presented at the League's March 2018 Innovations Conference in National Harbor, Maryland. The Riegelman Awards for Excellence in Public Health & Health Navigation Education in Community Colleges are funded by Richard and Linda Riegelman as well as by Jones and Bartlett Learning.
Applying for the Riegelman Awards is a two-step process that involves first completing a letter of intent, and then completing a planning template.
Letter of Intent Deadline: September 1, 2017
Community colleges interested in applying for the Riegelman Awards must submit a letter of intent signed by the Chief Academic Officer that commits the institution to develop a plan or to implement public health or health navigation program or courses compatible with the recommendations of the CC&PH report.
- Institutions may focus on one or both of the model curricular frameworks in developing courses or certificate and/or associate degree programs. Additional innovative designs are also encouraged.
- The letter of intent must include:
- the CV of a faculty member who has agreed to take the lead in planning the courses or program.
- an indication of the types of support the lead faculty can expect from the community college administration.
- Partnerships with 4-year colleges are encouraged but not required.
- Community college systems as well as well as single community colleges are eligible to submit letters of intent.
- Institutions with existing public health programs are eligible if these programs are consistent with the recommendations of the CC&PH report.
A series of webinars produced in summer 2015 is available in the Community Colleges and Public Health Project community. To join the community, select Join Community Group in your My Account dropdown, at the top of the page.
Letters of intent are due September 1, 2017. Submit letters of intent to Cynthia Wilson via email to email@example.com or fax to 480.705.8201.
Planning Templates Deadline: October 31, 2017
All eligible community colleges will be invited to submit a plan, following the appropriate Planning Template, for one or more public health associate degree and/or certificate programs, or for public health/health foundations courses, including a timeline for implementation and evaluation. Plans are due on October 31, 2017.
Riegelman Awards for Excellence in Public Health & Health Navigation Education in Community Colleges
Up to 6 community colleges that complete this process by submitting a plan will be recognized at the League's Innovations Conference in National Harbor, Maryland, in March 2018. A stipend of $1,000 will be provided to cover travel expenses, and the League will waive the Innovations Conference registration fee for one representative from each college being recognized. Criteria for review of the plans will include quality of the planning for implementation and evaluation; institutional commitment; and evidence of interest and support by students, community college administration, and the local community.
Each community college being recognized will:
- Have its plans for development and evaluation of its public health program(s) posted on the League's website as part of the CC&PH project;
- Participate in authoring article(s) on the CC&PH project for submission during the year following recognition; and
- Be encouraged to provide advice and consultation to other community colleges that seek to develop public health programs.