Vice President, Administrative Services
Open Until Filled
Vice President, Administrative Services
Vice President, Administrative Services
City College, San Diego City College
Range 20 ($10,505.63 – $17,098.10) per month based on the current Management Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement is commensurate with related experience and promotional rules. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid: medical, dental, and vision plans; sick and vacation leave; and opportunities for professional development. Initial Salary Placement, Promoted or transferred employees will be placed as specified in the Management Employees Handbook. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. A temporary probationary period will be applied to the employee entering this assignment. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
Position Equivalent FTE:
Exempt (does not accrue overtime)
As the flagship campus in the San Diego Community College District, San Diego City College is seeking an innovative, experienced and passionate leader for the position of Vice President of Administrative Services. Recognized for its commitment to social justice and academic excellence, the college has been committed to student achievement for more than 104 years.
The Selected candidate must be willing to adjust work days/hours based on the department’s needs, and
may be transferred to any site at the option of the Chancellor.
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following:
• Prior experience in college accounting preferred.
• Understanding of college accreditation requirements and process.
• Perform duties of program budget officer in the allocation and expenditure of District funds; provide for proper accounting of college activities and programs; and make corrections and adjustments as needed.
• Maintain accurate records of expenditures for all campus program activities; monitor and maintain controls over college cashiering functions; and compile, analyze, audit, and prepare data for periodic and year-end reports.
• Supervise business office and support staff involved in accounting, budgeting, personnel, facilities support, and other functions; supervise stock room, shipping and receiving, and reprographics functions.
• Assure District and student body expenditures conform to policies and regulations; maintain records and reports on all areas of responsibility; recommend changes or improvements; assure fiscal responsibility for Associated Students accounting and for fiduciary oversight of college foundation/non-profit organization accounting.
• Coordinate personnel, operations, and business matters with the appropriate district manager or department such as Auxiliary Business Service Organization, Maintenance and Operations, Human Resources, and others; coordinate college/program requisitions; coordinate with instructional staff for effective use of institutional resources; coordinate certificated and classified position control system with District Human Resources and District Business offices; and monitor certificated and classified employee assignment status.
• Coordinate major campus construction projects, major maintenance and repairs, and relocation services with Facilities Services and key stakeholders and end users.
• Supervise the preparation of timesheets, vacation and sick leave requests, personnel assignment status sheets, and other forms for employees; coordinate faculty and staff hiring and assignment processes.
• Advise campus managers regarding discipline, contract management, Board agenda items, and budget; assist in resolving personnel problems and grievances.
• Coordinate special projects, reviews, analysis, and reports as necessary.
• Serve as staff advisor and member of committees, including the Management Services Council; serve as campus Health and Safety Officer; ensure compliance with OSHA and Federal/State/Local requirements for illness, injury, hazardous materials and relevant business plans.
• Serve as a member of the President’s Executive Team, working closely with the Vice President of Instruction and the Vice President of Student Services and participating in the shared governance process to create the integrated college plan and budget/resource allocation to support student success. Assure that plans developed are within budget and support the mission and goals of the College and the District.
• Work with representatives from College Police to develop and maintain building evacuation plans, campus emergency response plans, and overall campus emergency preparedness, including encouraging campus-wide participation in the Campus-Community Emergency Response Team training program.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Principles of business management, supervision, and facilities management.
2. Collective bargaining processes.
3. Personnel, budgeting, and accounting procedures, including principles of public administration personnel and accounting management.
4. Applicable sections of local, State, and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing assigned area.
5. Automated financial, personnel, and other related systems.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Understand and interpret labor agreements and policies and procedures.
2. Plan, schedule, and supervise work.
3. Maintain records and prepare reports.
4. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with diverse constituencies within and outside of the District.
5. Develop and manage a diverse program area, and offer clear leadership.
6. Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with administrators, staff, contractors and other support personnel.
7. Analyze situations accurately and take effective courses of action.
8. Motivational and people coordination skills.
Training and Experience: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to: a Master’s degree in Public or Business Administration or related field and six years experience in accounting, personnel, budgeting, labor relations or other related field, with at least two years of experience in a management position.
Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Commitment to Diversity:
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To ensure full consideration, qualified candidates must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed (extraneous material will not be reviewed). References to résumés or other uploaded documents within the online application will be considered an “incomplete” application; please enter “N/A” if any section does not apply.
1. Complete online application;
2.Three references listed within the online application;
3. Letter of Application; AND
4. Resume or Curriculum vitae (emphasizing experience, education, publications or presentations, if any).
Important: Only complete application packets will be forwarded to the committee. Applicants must complete each required field and answer each supplemental question; references to resumes, CVs, etc. will not substitute for completing the required fields and supplemental questions; and will result in the application being considered “incomplete.” To ensure consistency and fairness to all candidates, please do not submit materials other than those requested (i.e., personal photo, articles you’ve written, etc). Please only upload requested documents using respective document name labels. Uploading extraneous materials, unless specifically requested within this posting, may result in your application not being reviewed.
Before submitting the application and uploaded materials, please check to make sure they are complete and accurate. Once you submit, you will not have access to your application to make changes, however you will be able to view the application if submitted prior to the deadline. If you think you have made an error prior to the closing date, please contact HR at (619) 388-6579 or email email@example.com.
•Application materials sent via mail, fax, or e-mail will not be accepted.
•Note that correspondence, including interview invitations, will be sent to you via the same e-mail used to submit the application: it is the applicant’s responsibility to frequently check their email for correspondence.
•All inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in the strictest confidence.
Conditions of Employment:
SELECTED CANDIDATE IS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT:
•Submit “official” college transcripts as stated on application (even if a degree is not a requirement for this position);
•Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense;
•Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial appointment (Note: The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment);
•Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer at the candidate’s expense (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment);
•Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States; AND
•Attend a new hire processing appointment in Human Resources located at the District Administrative Offices.
SDCCD provides a comprehensive fringe benefit package for its full-time classified employees. The District contributes toward the cost of the premium (including dependent coverage) for the medical insurance plan options. Additional benefits include dental, vision, sick leave, vacation and opportunities for professional development. Contract employees become members of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) upon appointment.