Police Dispatcher, Santa Fe College Police Department (SFPD
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 01, 2020
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $30,380.36. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Paygrade C2, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus 3000 NW 83rd Street, Building T, Gainesville, FL 32606
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
The SFPD is seeking a Police Dispatcher to facilitate essential communications in person, via phone, and over the radio with both on- and off-campus law enforcement as well as the public. In addition to radio dispatching, the Police Dispatcher is responsible for department record keeping and providing assistance at a high profile front desk that requires shift work with periodic rotations, including nights and weekends.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Answer emergency and non-emergency calls made to the SFPD phone line.
• Gather and relay appropriate information and dispatch officers accordingly.
• Monitor SFPD radio traffic for issues or requests for assistance.
• Access information from the Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), as well as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) databases as needed.
• Provide assistance by staffing the SFPD front desk and performing a variety of reception and support functions.
• Monitor burglar and fire alarms as well as campus security cameras, initiating the appropriate police and/or fire response as necessary.
• Maintain the database for parking tickets and moving violations.
• Assist with maintaining college key inventory including issuance and return of keys.
• Manage lost and found items, including logging and tracking all items reported or submitted to the police department as well as working with the College property manager to turn over unclaimed property for future surplus sales.
• Prepare reports, complete data entry, and perform other administrative support duties as needed.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Office Supervisor, SFPD
Required: High school diploma or equivalent. 911 Public Safety Telecommunicator Certification or successfully complete this course and pass the State exam within six months of employment commencement.
Additional Requirements: Must become FCIC and NCIC certified. Criminal background check, as well as other background and reference checks will be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up and evaluate.
• Ability to remain calm, exercise good judgement, respond swiftly, effectively, and appropriately to emergency and high stress situations.
• Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent that addresses your interest in working as a police dispatcher at Santa Fe College and lists your skills, strengths and experience that you can bring to this position, as well as an up-to-date resume and any college transcripts or certifications through the job portal to be considered for this position. College transcripts are required for any college coursework. If you do not have college coursework, proof of high school completion or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.