Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
The Plumber is responsible for the inspection, maintenance, repair, and installation of all aspects of plumbing systems and must adhere to established college safety guidelines and health and safety codes. This position works with other trade employees to ensure that all specifications are met and to ensure efficient and successful completion of each project or work order.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Inspect, maintain, service, and repair all plumbing systems to ensure a safe and sanitary environment including, but not limited to: valves, sinks, faucets, drinking fountains, and all associated piping.
• Perform a variety of skilled plumbing tasks including the testing and repair of backflows, troubleshooting malfunctions, as well as developing a plan of action to resolve problems.
• Ensure roof and floor drains are cleared of debris and fully operational at all times.
• Operate and oversee the use, care, and operation of a variety of maintenance-related hand tools and power equipment including, but not limited to, pipe threading and soldering equipment, as well as a variety of drain cleaning equipment.
• Practice proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
• Create work orders, order and obtain necessary materials to service work orders, and schedule work accordingly to accomplish work order tasks.
• Survey the plumbing infrastructure around campuses and document complete plumbing utilities system.
• Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards.
• Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including, but not limited to, those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Assist other trades as needed.
• Participation in the rotation for on call and call back is on a voluntary basis, with additional compensation, and may be required, as outlined in the On Call/Call Back department policy*.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: HVAC Supervisor
Required: A High School Diploma or equivalent and two years of related work experience.
Additional Requirements: Demonstrated knowledge of Florida plumbing codes and ADAAA requirements related to plumbing. A criminal background check will be conducted. Applicants must have a valid Florida driver’s license and be authorized to drive for the college.
Preferred Qualifications: At least one year of commercial or institutional plumbing experience, as well as knowledge of testing and repairing backflows.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software – proficient level using computer and applicable software applications.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must complete and submit the SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, high school diploma or equivalent, as well as certifications (if applicable) through the jobPl portal to be considered for this position. Proof of high school diploma or equivalent must be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.