Linux Systems Specialist
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is based on the competency level and experience of the employee as defined in the career path matrix of the Salary Schedule. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Information Technology Personnel, Pay Grade E, Exempt
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, FL 32606.
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) was recently recognized as the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester.
The Linux Systems Specialist installs, configures, and maintains assigned server operating system(s). The position implements, integrates, and supports a variety of server and desktop applications.
Responsibilities and duties:
· Installs, configures, documents, and maintains assigned operating system(s) hardware & software.
· Schedules and performs installations & upgrades as needed.
· Maintains assigned system security and backup / recovery procedures.
· Troubleshoots problems associated with assigned server, desktop hardware, operating systems, and application software.
· Resolves problems or escalates for further support.
· Provides recommendations for hardware, systems software, and capacity budgeting & planning.
· Evaluates new and existing application software products. Recommends upgrades or new purchases.
· Develops, tests, and documents disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
· Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Manager, Systems and Datacenter
REQUIRED: Associate’s degree in Information Technology or related field and (3) three years of previous, progressive, related experience or completed education and previous, progressive related work experience equal to 5 five years.
Experience with the following programs and tools required, as related to area of assigned responsibility:
· An in-depth knowledge of Linux: RedHat, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc. Especially user permissions/rights management, firewalld, systemd/systemctl, ftp/file shares.
· Ability to develop Shell and Python scripts.
· Knowledge of protocols, such as DNS, HTTP/S, LDAP, SMTP, and SNMP
· Possess a strong DevOps focus: Knowledge of setting up a continuous development pipeline (Jenkins), Repository software (Git-based), Java application monitoring software, Logging software (elasticsearch, kibana, logstash, beats).
· Experience with cloud environments, such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS
· Apache/Nginx/IHS, setting up proxy/reverse proxy, application server routing, load balancing (Haproxy)
· PKI & SSL/TLS certificate management
· Collaboration software
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A criminal background check will be conducted.
PREFERRED: Training/Certification in any of the following: Red Hat Certified Engineer (RCHE), Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job. Able to effectively communicate information and ideas, speaking and writing in terms understandable to others.
· Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
· Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
· Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
· Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
· Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
· Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions. APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts (if applicable) to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes. If you do not have college transcripts, a copy of your high school diploma or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts.