Library Support Specialist
Application Deadline: Friday, October 25, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary of $32,248.28 per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Promotional placement is not limited to the posted salary range maximum. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Non-exempt, Pay Grade C3.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, FL 32606
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
The Lawrence W. Tyree Library seeks a Library Support Specialist to serve as one of three staff members providing courteous and timely technical services support with a focus on either acquisitions, interlibrary loans, or cataloging by procuring, organizing, and maintaining the essential materials needed to ensure access to SF’s academic resources and the library’s vast collection.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Process interlibrary loan requests in Library Management and OCLC systems including checking availability, retrieving items, and shipping via courier or mail, as well as maintain files for interlibrary loan requests and manage overdue items.
• Process hold requests and check loan email account daily for new requests placed by students, faculty, and staff.
• Check-in periodicals electronically and apply applicable labels to ensure materials are shelved in correct location; submit claims for duplicate, damaged, or missing items; and review subscription update notifications.
• Track and report statistics.
• Communicate with internal (faculty, student, staff) and external (libraries) users to clarify status of requests.
• Resolve problems and answer questions from requestors, vendors, and other library staff.
• Create and maintain procedural documentation for Technical Services functions.
• Stay current on library Technical Services technology and methodology.
• Engage in cross-training and serve as backup for various library functions.
• May work at a service desk providing information and assistance with physically locating library and college resources.
• Assist outreach and public relations activities in collaboration with all staff during library events.
• Participate in department and college meetings and activities as appropriate.
• Ability to work flexible schedule and extended hours during exam weeks.
• Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Librarian
Required: A high school diploma or equivalent and four (4) years of related library work experience is required.
Preferred: Related work experience in an academic library setting.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
• Detail Oriented - Proven accuracy and attention to detail.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, as well as an up-to-date resume to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as a Library Support Specialist at the Lawrence W. Tyree Library, Santa Fe College and explain the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Proof of high school completion or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.