Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic
Application Deadline: Thursday, August 29, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting Salary of $36,335.00 as per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Promotional placement is not limited to the posted salary range maximum. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C5, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus, Facilities Services, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Building U, Gainesville, Florida, 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Facilities Services seeks a HVAC Mechanic responsible for the installation, repair and maintenance of HVAC equipment for SF. The HVAC Mechanic must adhere to established college safety guidelines, as well Florida Mechanical Code, National Electrical Code (NEC), the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA), Environmental Protection Agency guidelines and other applicable codes and standards. The HVAC Mechanic must participate in the rotation schedule for on call/call back duty as outlined by departmental and college policy.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Monitor, troubleshoot, calibrate, repair, trend, adjust, and input schedules for all HVAC systems utilizing the automated control system
• Perform maintenance and repair work on commercial and residential HVAC systems including, but not limited to, air handlers, water pumps, cooling towers, ice machines, pneumatics and digital controls, refrigeration equipment, boilers, and chiller units.
• Change out motors on HVAC equipment and help fabricate parts for units as needed.
• Inspect and perform routine preventative maintenance work on HVAC equipment including changing filters, belts, oil, etc. Also includes cleaning coils and drain pans to provide a safe indoor environment and prolong the life of equipment.
• Troubleshoot and maintain mechanical systems, including, but not limited to, start system, observe operation, read gauges and instruments, and adjust mechanisms such as valves, controls, and pumps that control level of fluid, pressure, and temperature in systems.
• Install HVAC equipment.
• Complete all tasks adhering to Florida Mechanical Code, NEC, ADAAA, and EPA guidelines as well as other applicable codes and standards.
• Work from aerial lift and elevated platforms.
• Install, repair and replace minor ductwork as needed.
• Replace water pumps, water pump motors, pump couplers, and greasing bearings; align shafts on
• pumps with up to 100 HP motors.
• Maintain proper water treatment for cooling towers and closed heating and chilled water loops.
• Clean and maintain cooling towers and associated piping and equipment.
• Provide maintenance and repair on ice machines, water coolers, refrigerators, commercial type refrigerators, walk-in coolers and walk-in freezers.
• Perform maintenance and repair tasks on return fans, exhaust fans, purge fans, hood fans, and chemistry lab snorkel fans.
• Read blue prints and drawings to determine routing of HVAC systems to perform troubleshooting.
• Plan and organize jobs; create material list for work order jobs and projects.
• Clean and organize equipment and mechanical rooms to maintain a safe work environment.
• Maintain records for repairs performed by completing work orders and other paper work.
• Order and maintain supply inventory and parts.
• Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards.
• Assist other trades as needed.
• Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Participation in the rotation for on call and call back is on a voluntary basis, with additional compensation, and may be required, as outlined in the On call/Callback department policy*.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
Reports to: HVAC Supervisor
Required: A High School Diploma or equivalent with four (4) years of documented commercial HVAC experience and a certification from a recognized HVAC trade school or a mechanical contractor’s license are required. Applicant is also required to possess an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification to service all types of HVAC equipment and the knowledge necessary to recover and charge air conditioning systems, as well as familiarity with commercial and/or industrial refrigeration systems, boiler operation and maintenance.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted. Applicant must have a valid Florida Driver’s License and be authorized to drive by the college (Driving Requirements).
Preferred: Experience with energy management and related systems is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, as well as transcripts, licensure and/or certification to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.