Fitness Center Manager
Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting Salary is $34,230.58 per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Promotional placement is not limited to the posted salary range maximum. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C4, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Building V, Gainesville Florida 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
SF Athletics seeks a Manager to oversee the operations and employees of the Fitness Center. The SF Fitness Center includes a machine weight room, free weight room and cardio room, as well as secure locker & shower facilities. The Fitness Center Manager enforces the policies and procedures of the Fitness Center, addresses any building/equipment issues, as well as encourages the health and wellness of students and staff. The Fitness Center Manager is expected to maintain a regular work schedule of 6:30am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday with some evening and weekend hours. The Fitness Center Manager must be a productive team player with varied expertise in the area of health and wellness.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Oversee the daily operations of the SF Fitness Center including but not limited to opening and preparation, enforcement of policies, procedures and standards, budgeting, managing the laundry room, locker room, building issues, video surveillance, et cetera.
• Manage and supervise fitness center staff including hiring, training, payroll, and scheduling.
• Encourage health and wellness through collaborative programming with Student Life, Human Resources, the Counseling Center and other departments.
• Oversee the use, care, operation, maintenance, and record-keeping of all fitness equipment.
• Manage and maintain patron usage records and locker rental system.
• Coordinate gymnasium scheduling and supervise open play hours in the gymnasium.
• Manage and maintain the athletics’ computer lab.
• Provide support for athletic events and athletic staff, including coaches as needed.
• Comply with all standards, policies and guidelines of the Fitness Center and the college.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Associate Director, Athletics
Required: A Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of closely related work experience is required or a combination of completed education and closely related work experience equal to six (6) years is required. At least one (1) year of the experience must be in a supervisory capacity.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: A background in athletics, sports, sports management and/or business management with gym/fitness center experience are preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader; possesses expertise in selecting, training, developing, coaching, mentoring, and retaining a highly motivated workforce.
• Systems & Software – proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - proven skills in identifying issues, developing creative solutions and options, and following through with implementing resolutions; able to make well-reasoned, sensible and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations and other factors.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as the Fitness Center Manager at Santa Fe College and explain the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.