Santa Fe College’s Counseling Center is seeking a Counseling Specialist to provide individual and/or group counseling to college students with a variety of concerns including academic, career, developmental and personal. The Counseling Center provides short-term, solution-focused counseling and resource referrals for students, free of charge; crisis intervention, including participation in SF’s Trauma Response Team, as well as consultation to faculty and staff. The Counseling Center also promotes outreach, seminars, training, presentations and activities for both students and staff.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Provide individual counseling to students with academic, career, developmental, and personal concerns.
• Conduct psycho-educational and/or support groups for students.
• Provide outreach throughout the college community.
• Serve as a consultant to college faculty, staff and students.
• Provide crisis intervention services during the workday.
• Serve on college-wide committees on behalf of the Counseling Center.
• Work closely and collaboratively with the Advisement Center and the Career Resource Center.
• Refer students to relevant campus and community resources.
• Strictly honor the privacy, security and confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information according to state, federal, and college regulations, policies and procedures.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Coordinator, Counseling Center
Required: A Master’s degree in Counseling or a relevant field with an active State of Florida license as a Clinical Social Worker, Mental Health Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist, or Psychologist is required.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: At least two (2) years of experience working directly with college students is preferred, as is knowledge of community resources, crisis intervention experience and mental health counseling experience. Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications or receiving steps. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.
Santa Fe College (SF) is committed to maintaining a work and educational environment that embraces diversity and where no member of the college community is excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subject to discrimination in any college program or activity based on: their race, ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, sex, pregnancy status, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, political opinions or affiliations, or veteran status. This commitment applies to employees, volunteers, students, and, to the extent possible, to third parties, applicants for admission, applicants for employment, and the general public.
Santa Fe College reserves the right to extend deadlines and/or not to offer advertised positions.
Preference will be given to eligible veterans and spouses of veterans.