Coordinator, Veterans Student Support Services
Application Deadline: Monday, September 14, 2020
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $47,498.66. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Technical/Professional, Pay Grade PT5, Exempt, Grant Funded*.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Building L, Room 058, Gainesville, Florida, 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Associate of Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Santa Fe College is seeking a Coordinator for its Veterans Student Support Services program: Supporting Every Requirement for Veterans’ Excellence (SERVE). Veterans Student Support Services is one of the Federal TRIO programs funded by through the U.S. Department of Education designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. SF’s SERVE program is designed to identify, select, enroll, retain, serve, and assist veterans who are low-income, first-generation college and/or students with disabilities. The program provides support services that will help participants progress academically to and throughout college.
The Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day administration of SERVE. This position will create and maintain systems to ensure that eligible veterans are seamlessly connected to SERVE in order to increase persistence, good academic standing, graduation and transfer rates among the programs target population. SERVE provides an array of services and activities such as tutoring, academic advising, financial support and literacy, transfer assistance, coaching career services, grant aid and community building. The Coordinator is responsible for the programmatic, operational and fiscal management of SERVE and is accountable for the project’s success.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Ensures that the SERVE program is implemented in full compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, the SSS Program regulations, the Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR), and all other applicable federal regulations and requirements.
• Manages implementation of the project's activities, goals, and objectives as outlined in the grant-funded proposal, federal regulations/guidelines, and Santa Fe College polices and priorities.
• Effectively develops and manages the SERVE program budget as approved by the Department of Education and the college external fund manager, monitors and reviews expenditures monthly, and prepares a detailed annual budget.
• Manages the selection, identification, and notification of participants. Leads the plan of operation by informing the institutional community about SERVE, assessing students, developing individual action plans, assigning services, monitoring participants' progress, and retaining students.
• Coordinates services for SERVE participants including, but not limited to tutoring, academic advising, financial support and literacy, transfer assistance, coaching, career services, grant aid and community building.
• Oversees and assists with the maintenance and monitoring of recordkeeping to ensure an efficient system that facilitates program planning and evaluation/tracking of services to students.
• Evaluates program processes and procedures; plans, develops and presents recommendations regarding technical methods and techniques of program administration.
• Strictly honors student confidentiality and exhibits sensitivity toward program participants.
• Supervises SERVE staff including an Administrative Assistant, Academic Coach, and Peer Tutors. Conducts in-service staff training. Encourages input from SERVE staff to facilitate ongoing program review and retention improvement.
• Maintains communication with SF grant office, grant accounting office, and the Federal Department of Education.
• Partners with Veteran and Military Success Services staff and community organizations to coordinate services for student veterans.
• Collaborates with Financial Aid to determine and distribute financial aid to qualified VSSS students.
• Conducts research and planning necessary to facilitate program evaluation and reporting. Oversees and assists with the evaluation process, handles the annual performance review/report and consultant visits.
• Establishes an effective organizational structure with sound policies and procedures. Creates and maintains a SERVE implementation manual and implement systemic plan for data collection
• Leads the SERVE Advisory Committee and actively participates as a member of the grant proposal design and development team.
• Participates in college-related committees, providing service to the College as required.
• Works a flexible schedule.
• Provides and promotes service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Registrar
Required: Military experience of either honorably serving in the military or serving those who have served, and a bachelor’s degree is required. Candidates must have at least (3) three years of experience in designing, managing, or implementing Student Support Services (SSS) or similar programs with (1) year of concurrent experience of relatable program supervision.
Additional Requirements: Must possess a valid Florida Driver License and be authorized to drive for the college (Driving Requirements) is required. The ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs is also required. An employment offer is contingent upon the approval by the Federal Department of Education TRIO Program Specialist. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job. Able to effectively communicate information and ideas, speaking and writing in terms understandable to others.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up, and evaluate.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
• Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader. Possess expertise in selecting, training, developing, coaching, mentoring, and retaining a highly motivated workforce.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Independent work - able to work independently with limited supervision and able to self motivate.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Multi-Cultural – able to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent demonstrating evidence of overcoming barriers, knowledge of working with veterans, low-income students and your military experience of either serving in the military or serving those who have served, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. If you have served in the military, you must upload your DD-214. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.