Coordinator, Language Arts and Communications Tutor
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
The Learning Commons Language Arts and Communications Tutor Coordinator collaborates with the Director and other coordinators to oversee the Learning Commons facility, as well as all other center activities related to the daily operations of the Learning Commons. In collaboration with the Director and other coordinators, the Language Arts and Communications Tutor Coordinator will ensure high quality training, supervision, and evaluation of the tutoring teams within their assigned disciplines. The creation of the Learning Commons is the central focus of a USDE Title III Project tasked with the improvement of SF’s academic quality and success though the creation of a centralized learning lab and its associated activities. The Learning Commons is the home for comprehensive learning support services that include tutoring, student workshops, coaching related to success skills, and labs for skills development in selected courses. The Language Arts and Communications Tutor Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Director with carrying out the approved activity plan, achieving objectives, assessing progress and outcome measures, as well as the day-to-day coordination of activities related to the Learning Commons including facilities renovation, support services consolidation, policy and procedure development, technical assistance for users, and promotion of the Learning Commons throughout the college community.
Responsibilities and duties may include:
• Provide leadership for tutoring and support services in language arts and communications disciplines.
• Collaborate with faculty and other stakeholders in language arts and communications academic departments to ensure alignment of support services and language arts and communications curricula.
• Design and deliver materials and activities that advance language arts and communications related support services.
• In partnership with the Director, supervise day-to-day operation of the Learning Commons to ensure successful delivery of services.
• Oversee the maintenance of all language arts and communications tutoring related furniture, technology and/or equipment in the Learning Commons.
• Work closely with the Director to ensure that language arts and communications based student support services are developed, implemented and assessed on a regular basis.
• Manage the language arts and communications tutors’ use of software(s) for scheduling and reporting on student engagement with tutoring and support services.
• Conduct and participate in selected outreach activities and meetings that advance implementation of the Learning Commons.
• Provide leadership for design and implementation of tutor orientation, training, and assessment.
• Provide direct support to students, faculty and staff of the Library and Learning Commons.
• Collaborate with other College staff as appropriate to resolve operational issues related delivery of services.
• Prepare for and participate in internal and external Title III activity evaluations and site reviews.
• Strictly honor the privacy, security and confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
• Assist the Director and other coordinator(s) as needed.
• Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
• Promote and provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director, Learning Commons
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in a language arts related field and 2 years of related work experience that required strong use of conventions of writing for academic purposes, including mastery of MLA and/or APA citation.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A criminal background check will be conducted.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: A degree in a language arts related discipline and/or experience with tutoring or teaching in a higher education environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving -able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up and evaluate.
• Critical Thinking & Judgement- able to make well-reasoned, sensible and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations and other factors.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications or receiving steps. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.