Coordinator, Financial Aid Eligibility
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) was recently recognized as the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester.
Financial Aid at Santa Fe College assists students and their families by providing financial assistance to help cover educational expenses and related costs. Financial Aid receives, processes and disburses various types of financial aid, including grants, loans and scholarships based on federal, state and college policy. The Financial Aid office seeks a Financial Aid Eligibility Coordinator to assist with eligibility determination and specialized processing of financial aid files. The Financial Aid Eligibility Coordinator must deliver information in a positive manner, as well as internally supervise and motivate a team while externally facilitating exemplary service to Santa Fe College student and families.
Responsibilities and duties:
• Coordinate eligibility-related activities to ensure compliant awarding of federal, state and agency funds for a diverse community of students.
• Supervise staff involved in the eligibility process for federal, state, institutional and external funding, completing necessary system overrides when appropriate.
• Regularly troubleshoot financial aid processes related to eligibility, especially Verification.
• Regularly use discretion to determine eligibility of student financial aid files in full compliance with all applicable statutes, rules and regulations.
• Create and update eligibility procedures based on department policies translated from applicable laws and regulations.
• Use discretion to supervise and facilitate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), Professional Judgement and Dependency Override processes.
• Provide training and guidance to staff on eligibility-related office policies and procedures translated from current federal, state and institutional rules.
• Provide up-to-date, accurate, and complete information to students and parents in person, via phone, e-mail, or chat during peak service times.
• Assist in student complaint escalations involving eligibility issues including escalated Verification inquiries.
• Track performance and statistics to prepare and compile reports, as necessary.
• Strictly honor the privacy and security of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
• Conduct outreach, utilizing events to promote Santa Fe College by marketing financial aid services to the community, including at some night and weekend events.
• Develop collaborative working relationships with internal and external partners.
• Serve on Division and College-Wide committees.
• Provide and promote service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Associate Director, Financial Aid
REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of related experience in Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Enrollment Management, or Business/Finance related fields, with at least one (1) of the two years consisting of direct supervisory experience are required or a combination of completed education and/or experience equal to six (6) years is required, with at least one (1) of the six (6) years consisting of direct supervisory experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A criminal background check will be conducted.
PREFERRED: A Master’s degree a relevant discipline with at least two (2) years of direct supervisory experience in a college setting. The ideal candidate will have recent experience working in a semi-automated financial aid office. Project management experience, as well as working in a medium to large organization with extensive student/customer contact.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Critical Thinking & Judgement - able to make well-reasoned, sensible, and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations, and other factors.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader. Possess expertise in selecting, training, developing, coaching, mentoring, and retaining a highly motivated workforce.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Problem Solving – proven skills in identifying issues, determining their cause, developing creative solutions, and following through with implementing resolutions.
• Multi-Cultural- ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume and college transcripts (if applicable) to be considered for this position. College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.