Application Deadline: Thursday, January 21, 2021
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $34,230.58. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C4, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, Florida 32606
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
The Carpenter performs multiple aspects of applied carpentry in the maintenance of Santa Fe College facilities. The position also maintains the integrity and safety of facility infrastructure as related to carpentry including, but not limited to, flooring, roofing, masonry, drywall, painting, cabinetry and tilework.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Complete all internal and external repairs of Santa Fe College facilities to maintain structural integrity, aesthetics and safety of all facilities.
• Perform minor renovations, maintenance, and repairs for offices, classrooms, and other areas.
• Assemble, install and make minor repairs to furniture and equipment.
• Respond to emergency repair calls to ensure a safe environment and timely repair and resolution of issues.
• Work with supervisor to schedule and prioritize work orders based on availability and college need.
• Work with other trades to coordinate and schedule needed repairs and work.
• Research new techniques and ideas for special projects as needed.
• Utilize computer to find parts and log all work orders.
• Clean and maintain tools and shop equipment.
• Practice proper work methods and techniques; comply with applicable standards and specifications; enforce safety regulations to ensure compliance in providing a safe environment for staff, faculty, contractors, visitors and students. Provide routine inspections of facilities to monitor needed repairs; perform preventative maintenance inspections for roofs.
• Ensure ADAAA and Florida Building Code compliance with carpentry repairs, renovations, and construction.
• Assist other trades as needed.
• Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Carpenter Supervisor
Required: High School diploma or equivalent and four (4) years of related commercial work.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted. Applicant must have a valid Florida Driver’s License and be authorized to drive by the college (Driving Requirements).
Preferred: Carpentry certification from a recognized vocational or trade school. Knowledge of ADAAA, Florida Building Code, and other local, state and federal regulation codes. Ability to interpret and implement technical specifications such as blueprints, drawings and instructions to adhere to project plans and timelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ability to identify hazardous materials in the course of completing a project.
• Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform the duties and responsibilities of the job, including heavy work in high temperatures during warmer months for prolonged periods.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must complete and submit the SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, high school diploma or equivalent, as well as certifications (if applicable) through the job portal to be considered for this position. Proof of high school diploma or equivalent must be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.