Assistant Professor, English
The English Department of Santa Fe College is dedicated to providing innovative instruction in composition, literature, technical and business writing, as well as film and media studies. English at Santa Fe College is seeking two (2) nine (9) month Assistant Professors to promote and encourage student success through quality instruction and real world learning experiences beginning fall 2018.
Under general supervision, the Assistant Professor of English will develop, prepare and teach a variety of coursework consisting of Composition, Writing, Literature, as well as Technical and Business Communications. Faculty may be assigned to SF’s main Northwest campus or housed at any of the College’s six educational centers. Candidates must have the flexibility to teach at any one of these different sites and at different times throughout the academic year. Additionally, course offerings may be taught during the day, evening, or online, as well as taught using other distance learning formats. Full-time faculty have a primary nine (9) month contract based on teaching 15 credit hours in the fall and 15 credit hours in the spring; teaching opportunities beyond contractual obligations, including during the summer may be available for additional compensation based upon departmental need.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Plan, organize, and deliver English instruction in didactic, laboratory and/or classroom settings to promote student success within a community college setting.
• Support and promote the mission of the English Department, which centers on providing personalized, supportive learning environment that challenges student to achieve high levels of academic performance and fosters intellectual independence by teaching creative thinking, critical reasoning, as well as problem solving skills.
• Collaborate with other faculty to evaluate, revise, and develop English curriculum that cultivate the mastery of course content and learning objectives.
• Assist with the implementation of college policies, objectives and functions in accordance with the SF philosophy, mission, strategic initiatives, and procedures.
• Appropriately document student progress and maintain records including attendance and student achievement of learning outcomes.
• Appropriately leverage learning and classroom technologies to produce engaging quality instruction.
• Participate in departmental meetings and college committee work.
• Strictly honor the privacy, security and confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Chair, English
Required: Master’s degree in English, Masters of Fine Arts in English and/or Creative Writing or a Master’s degree with eighteen (18) graduate semester hours within the qualifying fields of Creative Writing, English, Applied Linguistics, Linguistics, Literature, and/or Rhetoric and Composition is required. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Candidates with relevant teaching experience and the ability to incorporate appropriate instructional technology into coursework are preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The Assistant Professor requires the ability to deliver a high level of interactive customer service, develop and maintain collaborative relationships inside and outside of the College, proactively solve problems, prioritize effectively and manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high level of accuracy. This position must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills accompanied by proficient computer skills, including familiarity with the Microsoft Suite of Office Applications. The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to student success and excellence in undergraduate education with the ability to work a flexible schedule at multiple sites. The Assistant Professor must be able to work well with staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, letter of intent, a written statement describing your concept of a learning-centered institution, three (3) current letters of recommendation, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as the Assistant Professor, English at Santa Fe College and explains the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.