Administrative Assistant, Veterans Student Support Services
Application Deadline: Friday, September 25, 2020
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $34,230.58. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C4, Non-Exempt, Grant-Funded.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, Florida 32606
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
The Administrative Assistant for Veterans Student Support Services assists the director with recordkeeping, documentation and project evaluation. Responsibilities include management of the Student Support Services database, budget tracking, general clerical and office management, interacting with the public to provide general program information and assisting students in identifying other SF staff that can help them. This position is grant-funded by the Department of Education.
Responsibilities and duties:
• Greet veterans, visitors, answer phones, respond to inquiries, and resolve issues based on established college policies, making appropriate referrals as needed.
• Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks including data entry and the drafting, editing, and revision of letters, reports, and other materials.
• Organize and facilitate meetings and special events; schedule and coordinate dates and times, venues, attendance, agendas, and facility arrangements.
• Perform various duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules and coordinate travel arrangements when appropriate.
• Assist in scheduling tutoring sessions for students.
• Manage payroll functions including the submission and audit of timesheet entries for staff, faculty, and work-study employees.
• Perform basic, routine bookkeeping functions relative to program/department budget including tracking purchases and expenditures for the program and may assist in the budget development process.
• Facilitate, monitor and/or oversee department purchasing, inventory and requisitioning of supplies and equipment.
• Prepare special reports, summaries, or replies to inquiries by compiling data and statistics from various departmental resources including supporting the Coordinator with the grant’s annual performance review (APR) and annual evaluation.
• Maintain accurate databases including maintaining student records, updating participant files and information, and assisting with necessary tracking using a data management system.
• Assist in the development or upkeep of the department/area webpage including social media and web presence.
• May supervise and oversee the activities of work-study employees.
• Assist in the planning and coordination of special events, which may include logistics, contracts, hospitality, staffing, etc.
• Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA and confidentiality. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of college procedures and regulations as they pertain to daily grant operations.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Coordinator, Veterans Student Support Services
Required: An Associate’s degree with at least four (4) years of closely related work experience or a combination of closely related work experience and/or completed education equal to six (6) years is required.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree. Experience in the SSS program or a similar program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must create an Applicant Profile to complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. College transcripts are required for any college coursework. If you do not have college coursework, proof of high school completion or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.