Administrative Assistant, Institute of Public Safety
Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 01, 2020
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $34,230.58 Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C4, Non-Exempt.
Location: Kirkpatrick Center, 3737 NE 39th Blvd #2683, Gainesville, FL 32609
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
The Institute of Public Safety (IPS) offers SF’s Emergency Medical Services and Criminal Justice Technology degree programs, as well as vocational certificate programs in the areas of law enforcement, corrections, emergency medical technician, and paramedic. IPS also provides in-service training to public safety agencies. IPS’ facilities are among the most innovative and technologically advanced in the United States.
The Administrative Assistant supports the IPS management team and other staff to ensure the effective implementation of IPS programs and operations.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Greet visitors, answer phones, respond to inquiries, and resolve issues based on established college policies, making appropriate referrals as needed; provide administrative support to the IPS management team.
• Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks including data entry and the drafting, editing, and revision of letters, reports, and other materials.
• Organize and facilitate meetings and special events; schedule and coordinate dates and times, venues, attendance, agendas, and facility arrangements; handle billing for facility use; log facility maintenance.
• Perform various duties related to maintaining multiple schedules and coordinate travel arrangements when appropriate.
• Assist with payroll functions including the submission and audit of timesheet entries for staff, faculty, and work-study employees.
• Perform basic bookkeeping functions to track purchases and other expenditures and may assist in the budget development process.
• Assist with department purchasing, inventory, and requisitioning of supplies and equipment.
• Prepare reports, summaries, or replies to inquiries by compiling data and statistics from various departmental resources.
• Maintain accurate databases including maintaining student records, updating files and information, and using data management systems.
• Assist in the development or upkeep of the IPS website and social media presence.
• Assist in the planning and coordination of special events, which may include logistics, contracts, purchasing, hospitality, staffing, etc.
• Access and update the Automated Training Management System (ATMS) database maintained by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE).
• Maintain confidentiality of student records, agency information, and sensitive public safety information.
• Comply with all laws, rules, procedures, guidelines, and regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and confidentiality.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Business Manager, Institute of Public Safety
Required: An Associate’s degree with at least four years of closely related work experience or a combination of closely related work experience and/or completed education equal to six years.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted to ensure the selected candidate meets eligibility requirements for access to personally identifiable information and the ATMS database.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume/curriculum vitae, as well as academic transcripts to be considered for this position. If you do not have college transcripts, your high school diploma or equivalent must be uploaded as unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.