Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
The Office for Finance at Santa Fe College is committed to providing high quality fiscal services through excellence in customer service, integrity, accountability, stewardship, as well as best practices in sustainability and diversity. The Office for Finance is seeking an Accounting Specialist to provide accounting support to various areas which may include accounts payable, travel and/or payroll, general ledger accounting and account reconciliation.
The Accounting Specialist helps to ensure compliance with federal, state and college rules, procedures and regulations in order to maintain the fiscal reporting integrity and contribute to the overall success of the department.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Review and process transactions based on given guidelines for completeness and accuracy.
• Coordinate and communicate with staff in various departments to ensure complete and accurate documentation to back up transactions.
• Prepare calculations based on given tables and formulas.
• Track and monitor transactions including basic reconciliation of data.
• Research and assist with resolution of reconciliation variances.
• Prepare and verify daily reports.
• Utilize the computer programs for reporting, tracking and monitoring transactions.
• Maintain appropriate documentation and records using both Excel spreadsheets and College web based systems.
• File documents for efficient retrieval.
• Comply with college standards, policies and guidelines, as well as state and federal rules.
• Assist staff with questions and concerns regarding transactions within the assigned duties and responsibilities.
• Provide back up and assistance to the Executive Assistant with front office reception and phone coverage.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Comptroller
Required: A High School diploma or equivalent with two (2) years of bookkeeping or accounting, or a combination of completed education and/or related work experience equal to two (2) years.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Associates degree in accounting or a financial related field from an accredited college with exceptional aptitude in accounting procedures and knowledge of accounting systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices, and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up and evaluate.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Proven accuracy and attention to detail.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts (if applicable) to be considered for this position. College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.