The Office for Finance at Santa Fe College is committed to providing high quality fiscal services through excellence in customer service, integrity, accountability, stewardship, as well as best practices in sustainability and diversity. The Office for Finance is seeking two Accountants to provide accounting assistance to the Assistant Comptroller and the Bursar.
The Accountant is responsible for applying accepted accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements, as well as ensure appropriate accounting controls. The Accountant is responsible for a wide range of tasks relating to financial planning, management and control. This position provides internal accounting support to the college by evaluating, recommending and implementing effective accounting practices and procedures. The Accountant must possess broad knowledge of fiscal responsibilities for College programs and resources, as well as a thorough understanding of general accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and procedures, as well as applicable state and federal guidelines and regulations.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Compile and analyze financial information to prepare financial reports/statements.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and/or annually drafted internal and external financial reports.
• Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
• Confirm accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
• Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
• Schedule, review and analyze department ledger accounting entry details to ensure accuracy, monitor variances and resolve discrepancies.
• Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities.
• Assist with various areas of fiscal audits including work paper preparation and data compilation as needed.
• Collect and analyze financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide recommendations and maintain solutions to financial problems.
• Set up accounts receivable and invoices related to grants and contracts in accordance with the legal agreement of terms and generally accepted accounting principles for revenue recognition.
• May prepare budgets, financial forecasts or other detailed calculations related to the college contracts, grants and programs.
• Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations and integrity of financial data.
• Review accounts payable transactions to ensure accuracy, monitor encumbrance and other purchasing reports.
• Perform internal audit of travel reimbursements for compliance with travel rules, regulations and policies.
• Review accounts payable and expense items such as purchase orders, invoices, and/or credit memos related to vendor transactions to ensure accuracy and proper accounting of the transactions.
• Provide accounting information to internal and external constituencies that require the use of judgement and interpretation of policies, rules and/or procedures.
• Perform ad hoc data compilation and analysis as needed.
• Provide innovation for the College.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Bursar
Reports to: Assistant Comptroller
Required: A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and two (2) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities with demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices is required. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: A Master’s degree in Business, Finance or Accounting is preferred, as well as knowledge of Fund/Governmental accounting principles, and experience using accounting computer software and applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: This position requires a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to deliver a high level of interactive customer service, develop and maintain collaborative relationships inside and outside the College, manage multiple tasks simultaneously with high levels of accuracy and achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames. The successful candidate must be able to prioritize effectively, be analytical, possess a keen attention to detail, as well as proficient computer skills using the Microsoft Suite of Office Applications, particularly Excel and Word. The Accountant must be able to work under pressure in a high demand area, handle multiple projects simultaneously with a great deal of accuracy, as well as proactively solve problems. This position must have an analytical aptitude with problem solving and critical thinking skills while being results oriented. This position must work well with students, faculty and staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Application Process: All applicants must create an Applicant Profile to complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as an Accountant at Santa Fe College and explain the skills, strengths and experience you would bring to this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.