Academic Lab Manager, Nursing
Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 03, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting Salary is $40,336.58 per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Technical/Professional, Pay Grade PT3, Exempt
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, Florida, 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Santa Fe College Nursing Programs is seeking an Academic Lab Manager to assist in the management of the nursing lab and nursing simulation lab. The Nursing Lab (NL) provides students within Nursing Programs practical opportunities to master essential nursing skills in a holistic, authentic, clinical-type setting. This position is also responsible for the operational readiness of the nursing lab and simulation lab. This requires ensuring a safe laboratory environment, ongoing inventory management, maintenance of simulation and lab equipment, faculty training of simulation equipment, scheduling of nursing lab rooms and classrooms, budget preparation, and supervision of the Nursing Support Specialist and student assistants.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards.
• Identify and source appropriate products for nursing lab and/or simulation use, including obtaining multiple vendor quotes.
• Communicate lab needs to nursing lab faculty facilitator on timely basis to maintain lab environment and equipment.
• Prepare nursing lab environment for planned laboratory and simulation experiences.
• Installation and maintenance of all nursing lab equipment, including simulation manikins.
• Provide support to faculty in the development and implementation of new simulation and technology-based scenarios.
• Program simulation scenarios and troubleshoots scenarios when needed.
• Maintain warranty and maintenance information on equipment and simulation manikins.
• Request work orders through college and vendors for room and equipment maintenance.
• Maintaining adequate inventory of supplies and materials required for nursing lab and nursing simulation experiences.
• Assist Academic Chair with development and management of budget related to nursing lab and simulation.
• Prepare required data and reports student fee request every three years.
• Assist in the preparation of events.
• Schedule, prepare, and maintain nursing classrooms.
• Communicate, collaborate and maintain working relationships with community constituents, partners, and vendors.
• Assist with the interviewing, hiring, scheduling and supervision of work study students, educational aides and part-time, temporary support employees.
• Oversee Nursing Lab Support Specialist and student assistant.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Academic Chair, Nursing
Required: Bachelor’s degree in health-related field, or a combination of related health-certification or licensure and relevant work experience equal to six years.
Additional Requirements: Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 20lbs routinely. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Familiarity of the health care environment, preferably in a nursing environment. License as a RN or Certification as an LPN preferred, with at least one year of experience in an inpatient care setting. Familiarity with learning management systems, such as CANVAS.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Critical Thinking & Judgement - able to make well-reasoned, sensible, and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations, and other factors.
• Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
• Problem Solving – proven skills in identifying issues, determining their cause, developing creative solutions, and following through with implementing resolutions.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, certifications (if applicable) as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic qualifications. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes.