Academic Coach, Upward Bound
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $40,336.58. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida. This is a grant-funded position.
Classification: Full-time, Technical/Professional, Pay Grade PT3, Exempt, Grant-Funded.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, Florida, 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Santa Fe College’s Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded program designed to provide first generation and/or low-income high school students in Bradford High Schools with the academic skills and motivation necessary to succeed in their pre-college studies. The program’s focus is high school persistence and college going culture with the specific goal of increasing the rate at which participants complete secondary educational objectives, enroll and graduate from a post-secondary institution. The UB Program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately succeed in their higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound is seeking an Academic Coach to facilitate provision of an array of services such as supplemental instruction, tutoring, personal support/counseling, financial education, academic advising, mentoring and study skills development. The Academic Coach for Upward Bound handles the day-to-day delivery of services provided by Upward Bound and in coordination with the Director, is accountable for program success.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Recruit students for program entry.
• Monitor student progress while in the program.
• Conduct workshops for students' college preparation.
• Assist students with completing college requirements.
• Maintain an open line of communication with parents by conducting formal and informal meetings concerning student goals.
• Collect information on college entry.
• Invite speakers and/or guests to share information to develop better life skills.
• Monitor student behavior while present at program activities, school activities and community activities.
• Provide individualized educational services for each student
• Seek information from professional development, other TRIO professionals, parents and students on how to better serve the student.
• Review and monitors seniors progress in college admissions process.
• Arrange transportation needs for students.
• Arrange meal plans for students while attending sessions.
• Plans educational field trips for students.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule.
• Provides and promotes service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director, TRIO Programs
Required: Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, advising, or a related field and at least (2) two years’ experience working with at-risk high school or postsecondary students.
Preferred: Master’s degree in counseling, education, advising or a related field with previous experience working in a TRIO program.
Additional Requirements: Must possess a valid Florida Driver License and be authorized to drive for the college (Driving Requirements) is required. The ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. CPR and BLS (Basic Life Support) certifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up, and evaluate.
• Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader. Possess expertise in selecting, training, developing, coaching, mentoring, and retaining a highly motivated workforce.
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent demonstrating evidence of overcoming barriers experienced by low income and first-generation students and having knowledge of working with ethnic minority and low-income students, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.