Volume 9, Number 2
(Printer Friendly Version)
Innovations 2008 Coming to Denver, March 2-5
The League for Innovation in the Community College is pleased to host our 11th annual Innovations Conference March 2-5, in Denver, Colorado. What better place to carry on the tradition of assembling today’s foremost education professionals to share their expertise and explore the latest developments in community colleges.
The conference will be held at the Adam’s Mark Hotel, located in the heart of downtown Denver. For more detailed travel and hotel information please visit http://www.league.org/i2008/travel.cfm.
Denver is one of the country’s fastest growing cities. Getting out and exploring it all is easy, with an extremely walkable downtown centered on the 16th Street Mall—a mile-long pedestrian promenade lined with outdoor cafes, entertainment centers, and shops. Free shuttles leave as often as every 90 seconds, allowing visitors to catch a free shuttle ride to various downtown attractions.
10 FUN FACTS ABOUT DENVER
- Denver has 300 days of annual sunshine, more annual hours of sun than San Diego or Miami. The sun feels warmer because you’re closer to it.
- With less water vapor in the air at this altitude, the sky really is bluer in Colorado.
- Denver is the second most educated city in the United States.
- Denver boasts the largest city park system in the country, 90 golf courses, 650 miles of paved trails, 9,600 miles of fishing streams, 2,850 lakes, and more than 1,000 peaks two miles high.
- Metro Denver collects more for the arts on a per capita basis than any other city. The Denver metro area has a self-imposed 10th of a cent sales tax for the arts that raises up to $36 million a year, which is distributed to 300 arts organizations and facilities.
- The dome of the Colorado State Capitol is covered with 200 ounces of 24K gold, but the really priceless building material was used inside as wainscoting. It is Colorado onyx, a rare stone found near Beulah, Colorado. The entire world’s supply was used in this building and no more has ever been found.
- In 1944, Louis Ballast grilled a slice of cheese onto a hamburger at his Denver drive-in restaurant and patented the invention as “The Cheeseburger.” The ice-cream soda, shredded wheat, and of course, the Denver Omelet were also invented in Denver.
- Denver is one of only two cities to have eight professional sports teams: NFL Denver Broncos; NBA Denver Nuggets; NHL Colorado Avalanche; MLB Colorado Rockies; MLS Colorado Rapids; AFL Denver Crush; MLL Colorado Outlaws; and NLL Colorado Mammoth.
- It was on top of nearby Pikes Peak in 1893 that Katherine Lee Bates was inspired to write the words to “America the Beautiful.”
- Denver is one of the few cities in history that was not on a road, railroad, lake, navigable river, or body of water when it was founded. Denver just happened to be where the first few flakes of gold were found in 1858.
Innovations 2008 Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Sandy Shugart, President, Valencia Community College presents Big Ideas With Consequences for Teaching, Learning, and Leading in a Community College.
- Irwin Kirsch, Director, Center for Global Assessment, Educational Testing Service presents America’s Perfect Storm: Three Forces Changing Our Nation’s Future.
- Bing Thom, Developer, Innovative Learning Spaces, presents Authenticity in an Age of Globalization: The Role of Architecture in Education.
- Mark Lewine, 2006 Outstanding Professor, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Cuyahoga Community College presents Our Challenge for the Next Forty Years: Keep the Door Open.
- Engaging keynote speakers discussing critical issues facing community college educators
- Forum Sessions, Special Sessions, Roundtable Discussions, and Poster Sessions
- Learning Center Courses—three-hour and six-hour intensive workshops granting Certificates of Completion
- 24-Hour Email and Internet Lab
- An extensive exhibition featuring educational products and services
- The opportunity to exchange ideas with hundreds of colleagues during receptions and refreshment breaks
Come join your colleagues in this beautiful city for an unforgettable conference experience!