Volume 8, Number 8
(Printer Friendly Version)
Member Spotlight: Butler Community College
Butler Community College
El Dorado, KS
Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas, has embarked on a mission to explore the research and ideas in reference to learning spaces. Recognizing that learning takes place in multiple locations and in multiple ways, the college has established a goal to develop guidelines along with an implementation plan for engaging, state-of-the-art learning spaces.
Space, whether physical or virtual, can have a significant impact on learning. An examination of learning spaces focuses on how learner expectations influence such spaces, the principles and activities that facilitate learning, and the role of technology from the perspective of those who create the learning environment. Learning space research and dialogue reflect an ongoing exploration to bring together space, technology, and pedagogy to ensure learner success.
Currently there are no design guidelines that define the elements of different types of learning spaces, such as classrooms, hallways, informal meeting spaces, and public gathering spaces, at the college other than past practice of minimum square footage for classrooms. Therefore, our three-year measurable objectives are to
- Define various types of learning spaces at Butler Community College and to make recommendations relative to design standards for these spaces.
- Develop design standards and a comprehensive implementation plan that address new and existing learning spaces at the college.
- Write guidelines to include a set of minimums and ranges for various types of learning spaces.
- Provide for life-cycle planning for equipment, various technologies, and software related to learning spaces.
In planning to accomplish these objectives, the tasks for the 2007-2008 school year will be to
- Increase awareness of the concept of learning spaces through a collegewide marketing campaign.
- Develop a research plan to establish formal, or classroom, learning space concepts tied to our future construction projects and to actively pilot these concepts in existing spaces.
- Develop a decision process for space allocation and repurposing existing space.
If your institution would like to submit a story for Member Spotlight, please contact Wendy Neil, Director, Membership Services, at email@example.com.