Moraine Valley Community College received $336,500 in August 2009 for a two-year demonstration project to provide training and services for dislocated workers, including veterans, as part of a national project administered by the League for Innovation in the Community College.
This project is designed to address some of the most significant issues facing dislocated workers who return to school to retrain for a new occupation, and to assist the college in enhancing services that lead to increased student success.
GOALS AND STRATEGIES
- Help dislocated workers acquire 21st century job skills and obtain jobs that require those skills.
- Increase academic progression, retention, and completion rates for dislocated workers.
- Utilize a four-phase program design:
Phase 1: Intake
Phase 2: Remediation & 21st Century Skills
Phase 3: Career Training
Phase 4: Job Placement
- Conduct additional activities, including supportive service referrals and linkages to other resources, to benefit dislocated workers at our college.
- Conduct outreach and enroll eligible dislocated workers, including veterans; provide comprehensive assessment and career planning; develop training plans; and identify financial resources and support service needs.
- Provide direct financial support for required tuition, books, supplies, uniforms, and related items.
- Provide remediation utilizing traditional developmental education courses, Language and/or Math for the Workplace, or non-credit college prep coursework.
- Develop 21st Century Skills utilizing various credit, non-credit, and online delivery options.
- Provide career training in high demand occupations via short-term credit and non-credit options.
- Offer job placement assistancesuch as job and internship listings, job fairs, direct referrals, resume and interviewing assistance, and on campus employment.
- Explore and adopt best practices for serving dislocated workers through a collegewide advisory team and by assisting the League in conducting program evaluation.
Improve services for dislocated workers and veterans. Moraine Valley Community College is the second largest community college in Illinois, serving more than 46,000 students from 26 communities each year. Moraine Valley plans to serve at least 100 participants in this important project to deliver 21st century skills training, improve academic progression and completion rates, and enhance career services for an increasing number of dislocated workers and returning veterans in our district.