Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources
In July 2007, the Foothill-De Anza Community College District lead by Chancellor Martha Kanter, with the support of the League for Innovation, launched the Community College Consortium for Educational Resources (CCCOER). Representatives from over 20 colleges attended the first CCCOER meeting and membership grew to over 200 community colleges over the next four years. In the summer of 2011, CCCOER joined the Open Courseware Consortium (OCW Consortium) as an institutional associate consortium thereby extending its reach worldwide.
CCCOER’s mission continues to be creating awareness and driving adoption of open educational resources (OER) to improve teaching and learning practices and to lower barriers to higher education. Since 2009, Dr. Martha Kanter has promoted the use of OER as the U.S. Under Secretary of Education overseeing policies, programs and activities related to post-secondary education, vocational and adult education, and federal student aid.
Community colleges, districts, and statewide consortia are encouraged to participate in the consortium by:
- Becoming institutional members of the Community College Consortium at the OCW Consortium.
- Encouraging faculty to visit the CCCOER website to review the catalog of open textbooks (750+) and resources at no cost.
- Promoting the adoption and creation of OER on their campuses.
- Sharing what they are already doing in terms of promoting open textbooks, open courseware, and OER on their campuses
- Identifying faculty volunteers to review open textbooks and open educational resources for the College Open Textbook Collaborative.
- Providing release time and/or professional development leave for faculty to develop and adopt open textbooks and other open educational resources.
League Board institutions Anne Arundel Community College, Foothill-De Anza Community College District, Kirkwood Community College, Queensborough Community College, San Diego Community College District, and the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges are members of CCCOER, as are many League Alliance members.
Contact Information. Please contact Una Daly at unatdaly AT ocwconsortium DOT org