Here are photos of three people. Imagine for a moment that they are your students, sitting in the front row on the first day of class. What are their stories?
For each photo, write a few sentences that tell this person's story.
- Is this person's primary language English?
- What kind of job does this person have?
- Does this person live alone?
- Is this person a parent?
- Is this person the primary breadwinner in his/her household?
- Was this person born in the United States?
- Does this person have a disability?
- What is this person's ethnic, cultural, or national background?
- Does this person have any other diverse characteristics?
- How might any of these descriptions affect their learning?
- How did you arrive at these guesses?
- Do you ever think about your students in this way?