League Navigation Banner League Navigation Banner League Navigation Banner
League Navigation Banner League Navigation Banner Home League Navigation Banner Search League Navigation Banner Site Map League Navigation Banner iStream League Navigation Banner Events Calendar League Navigation Banner League Store League Navigation Banner
League Navigation Banner League Navigation Banner League Navigation Banner
League Navigation Banner
About the League
Membership
Conferences & Institutes
Services
League Publications
League Projects
League Competitions
Partners & Friends
League Connections

Stay Connected:

JobNet - A Career Resource for Community College Administrators and Faculty

Platinum
Corporate Partners

Partner Directory

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Developmental Course Designation

CPCC is working with our state system to review the structure and effectiveness of Development Education courses. How does your institution treat developmental/remedial education courses?

1) Are they catagorized as curriculum courses and included in total course load for financial aid purposes?

2) Are they catagorized as pre-college or basic skills courses and "fee waived" or free to the students?

3) Are students allowed to take developmental and some (non-prerequiste) courses in the same term?

4) Other approaches?
    Kathy H. Drumm
    Executive Vice President, Central Piedmont Community College

Hi Kathy,

My apologies for not getting in touch sooner. I have had a terrible time getting my password straightened out on this new site and don't know what I would have done without Stella Perez (she's so wonderful). Anyway, below are the answers to your questions. Hope you find them helpful.

1) Are they catagorized as curriculum courses and included in total course load for financial aid purposes?
    Yes, they go through the exact curriculum process as our transfer level courses and are included for financial aid purposes.

2) Are they catagorized as pre-college or basic skills courses and "fee waived" or free to the students?
    They are categorized as "pre-college or basic skills" and charged the same fee as transfer level courses. Which, in California, means $18 per unit.

3) Are students allowed to take developmental and some (non-prerequiste) courses in the same term?
    Yes, and most do.
    Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb
    Vice President of Instruction
    De Anza College
    21250 Stevens Creek Blvd.
    Cupertino, CA 95014

408-864-8958 Direct Line
    408-864-8940 Executive Assistant
    408-864-5600 Fax Number

espinosapiebchristina@fhda.edu

www.fhda.edu/