PDA

View Full Version : Developmental Course Designation

Kathy Drumm
05-20-2010, 06:27 AM
CPCC is working with our state system to review the structure and effectiveness of Development Education courses. How does your institution treat developmental/remedial education courses?

1) Are they catagorized as curriculum courses and included in total course load for financial aid purposes?

2) Are they catagorized as pre-college or basic skills courses and "fee waived" or free to the students?

3) Are students allowed to take developmental and some (non-prerequiste) courses in the same term?

4) Other approaches?

Christina Espinosa-Pieb
07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Kathy,

My apologies for not getting in touch sooner. I have had a terrible time getting my password straightened out on this new site and don't know what I would have done without Stella Perez (she's so wonderful). Anyway, below are the answers to your questions. Hope you find them helpful.

1) Are they catagorized as curriculum courses and included in total course load for financial aid purposes?
Yes, they go through the exact curriculum process as our transfer level courses and are included for financial aid purposes.

2) Are they catagorized as pre-college or basic skills courses and "fee waived" or free to the students?
They are categorized as "pre-college or basic skills" and charged the same fee as transfer level courses. Which, in California, means $18 per unit.

3) Are students allowed to take developmental and some (non-prerequiste) courses in the same term?
Yes, and most do.